5 Reasons to Choose Organic Cotton

Organic cotton is cultivated without the use of toxic chemicals, fertilizers and pesticides. Its processing and cloth production process is also curated off the use of any harmful artificial products to ascertain it maintains its organic status.

Sadly enough, only 1% of the world’s cotton is grown organically. The remaining 99% traditionally grown cotton involves intensive usage of environmentally-harmful chemicals. It’s been estimated that about 25% of the world’s insecticide and 10% of pesticides are used on traditional cotton cultivation.

Here’s a look at some reasons why you should switch to organic cotton usage:

Saves Natural Resources – Cultivating organic cotton requires 91% less water than traditionally cultivated cotton. It’s estimated that around 20,000 liters of water are used to produce just one kilo of non-organic cotton. Aside from this, the synthetic chemicals used in non-organic cotton production also end up polluting surrounding rivers and lakes.

Eco-friendly Organic cotton cultivation leaves a lower carbon footprint behind as it uses less energy and fuel. And since there are no chemicals and pesticides used in its cultivation, there is no consequent pollution of surrounding water bodies; or the destruction of flora and fauna that depend on them. You also promote healthier and safer working conditions for cotton workers as there are no chemicals involved in its processing.

More Economical – Genetically-modified cotton seeds are more expensive too as they are treated with toxic chemicals to make them more resistant to diseases and pests. Organic cotton seeds on the other hand are cheaper as they are chemically-untreated natural seeds. Since organic cotton doesn’t include the use of chemicals, there is no need to store it, hence bringing down farming costs.

Better for the Skin – There are no chances of developing allergies and skin conditions with organic cotton usage either – as seen with workers and end-users in the case of traditionally cultivated cotton. It feels better on the skin too!

Help the Farmers – By opting for organically-grown cotton, you are helping farmers stay safe from the harmful effects of chemicals. Further to this, you also get to help the workers involved in its processing stage to stay safe from chemicals used in its cultivation process.

By opting for organic cotton, you are promoting a more sustainable environment too!

organic cotton